Thursday 7 July 2011

Some Visuals

So, finally everything is (almost) crystal clear. I am starting a small research project with Sampark, and I will focus on 15 women, part of the 'Untouchable' caste or from the Devadasi system, who all live in the Koppal district. These young girls, all aged around 15, have been selected last year to be trained in tailoring for nine months while being payed until next June. So my job will basically be to go there and interview them so to see what progress they've made thanks to the training and how they aim to sustain themselves after next year. I just read their profiles and they are all very sad stories, in particular for those girls that just by bad luck were born under the Devadasi tradition - some sort of 'legal prostitution', put very simply, but with such deep roots in the Indian tradition that although it is technically illegal, it is still accepted.

Otherwise there are other projects I could undertake, more involving kids' education and in particular the lowering of drop out rates so that they don't end up into child labour. I will visit some schools next week when I go to Koppal for a couple of days .

Anyhow, I have finally uploaded the pictures into my USB stick, and unfortunately looked at them... I am a bit ashamed! The focus in my camera is messed up and although while I take the photo I don't notice it, it doesn't come out very properly.
Whatever, here's some of the creches and the children, I'll upload some others next time :)



These are the ones of the first creche, who by the way asked me when I went there to sing a song or say some rhymes... I got caught so off guard I had no idea on what to say and no song came up in my head, besides Rolling In the Deep by Adele
I have no idea why. So I actually started singing that one and even teaching them the lyrics (Adele you owe me one!).


These others are from the second one, where a girl complimented me for what I was wearing, only to follow by saying that she didn't like the way I tied up my hair. I tried to explain her my issue with humidity, but sign language didn't really help.

This system is super slow and I have to go now, so I'll try to upload some more tomorrow.

C

No comments:

Post a Comment