Thursday 28 July 2011

Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara


Haven’t posted in a while – sorry! 
So as you know last week I stayed in Koppal for a while so that I could do some field work interviewing girls and attending various meeting.
Well, there’s nothing much I can say really. I had the chance to hear about 20 individual stories or more, and they were all so far away from my mindset and our culture that I could barely believe to what I was listening. All of the tailoring girls were around my age, some of them a Devadasi, others married or soon to be married, one with two children – but most of all each of them had gone through some incredibly sad life experiences. And then we complain when something goes wrong with us, I just feel that our problems are so insignificant compared to what these people go through on a daily basis.
Yet they are still so nice to the others and always welcoming me to stay at their houses or to eat their food.

This time I also went with another girl who was my translator and turned out to be really cool, so it made the whole thing much more appreciable. I watched so many Bollywood clips on MTV I became addicted to this music, and I have now decided that I want to work in those films ;)
The title of this post comes from a movie I really want to watch, and it means ‘Won’t get your life back again’… so true yet not so many people really follow this advice, falling into a monotony of which aim only becomes to earn money.  I really fail to understand this.

Changing the subject, on Sunday we went to Hampi, how beautiful! Unfortunately we rushed it a little bit since we only had a day to see it all, but I got to see the most important bits and it was absolutely amazing. I always find it overwhelming to see these past populations’ sites where they had such a happy and rich life (for once!) but then destroyed by some outsider who looked only at his own wealth.  And unfortunately these actions are still present nowadays, although probably in a more subtle way…
Though Sunday was a bit spoilt by the news of Amy Winehouse’ death, such a sad story and what a loss for the music industry and Camden! Made me kind of wish I was home.
Anyway, the driver who took us to Hampi was just too cool. He told us all of his life story (I’m getting used to it), how he got married 15 years ago out of love, so him and his wife had to run away from their families… He even wanted us to see his house and meet his wife and kids, so we ended up in his home for a little bit before going to ours. In Hampi he also explained all of the sites to us and became some kind of a tour guide – all the others were really pissed off at him! [I’ll do another post with all the photos of Hampi soon]

At the moment I’m back in Bangalore working on all these reports, it will really take ages to finish. Then on Saturday morning I’ll go to Mumbai, I really can’t believe my time in Bangalore has already reached an end. It was gone just too quickly – probably also because I stayed only 4 weeks instead of the 5 I though I would! I’m such an idiot.

Ok no more writing, here are some pictures of the girls we interviewed, some meetings, the villages, Koppal etc. Will post some more another time.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Our rickshaw driver Abdul


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment